Troubleshooting

Gas Fires

ISSUE: Fire not lighting or responding to remote.

The main cause of this problem would be depleted batteries in either the fire or the remote and these need to be replaced with non rechargeable high quality batteries such as energizer or Duracell

To replace the batteries follow this procedure:

  1. Remove old batteries and leave the device empty for 5 minutes to discharge
  2. Insert new batteries of good quality like Duracell or energizer,making sure they are non rechargeable.
  3. Leave device for another 5 minutes to turn itself back on and re-configure

On slide control fires do please note that there is a battery located behind the fret in the bottom right hand corner, this battery may also need replacing.

Battery Types:

  • Remote – 9V Square battery
  • Fire/Slider – AA batteries, anywhere from 1 to 4
ISSUE: Odour coming from recently installed fire.

A recently installed gas fire can sometimes create a rather potent odour. Although these odours are harmless it is recommended that the appliance is operated on maximum for 4 to 10 hours in order to fully burn off these coatings. After this period the odours should then disappear.

ISSUE: Remote not working despite batteries being fine.

With an remotely controlled fire, some gas fires have a little sensor for the remote placed by the engineer in a certain location and this sensor should be left in the location the engineer installed it otherwise signal interference could prevent the fire re-lighting.

Additionally if the sensor is dirty a quick wipe with a dry cloth should help clear up the signal.

ISSUE: Any problem with a fire not serviced in the last year.

We highly recommend that every year you have your gas fire serviced by a Gas Safe qualified engineer like the ones we have on our staff to keep it operating to the same high standard we provide, services can be provided on fires purchased from us from £99 to £120 depending on your model of fire and possible issues.

Click here to fill in our Service Request Form

Solid Fuel Stoves

ISSUE: Large amount of dark smoke being produced along with crackling sound.

This is likely due to improper drying of the wood fuel, if used moist or even wet wood produces a very large amount of smoke along with a fizzing/popping sound and this can result in buildup of soot in the chimney or even the spitting of super-heated steam.

The wood itself needs to be seasoned (Left to dry for 2 years to remove all the moisture in the wood) or alternatively the wood needs to be kiln dried to remove the moisture, the temperature in the stove needs to be hot enough to ensure

ISSUE: Glass is blackening when the wood is burnt.

The main cause of a small area being blackened is when the log is positioned against the glass door, a large area is slightly more complex and could be due to the wood again being too moist

Wood used in solid fuel stoves should have less than a 20% water content otherwise a significant quantity of the heat produced is wasted boiling the water thus causing the wood to burn slow and cold.

ISSUE: Starting the fire is difficult and/or it goes out very quickly.

This issue occurs because there is not enough heat being produced, refer to the manual on how to light the fire properly.

You should start by using paper and/or firelighters plus  lots of kindling working up to larger pieces of wood until a good fire is established in the stove, attempts to start off straight with wood are met with failure.

ISSUE: Stained or plain glass is stained by hard to remove black marks.

It is possible that the stove might be running too cold if hard to remove black marks are appearing, nevertheless they can be removed by running your stove with full airwash enabled for 30 minutes to one hour or alternatively the use of Stovax spray cleaner for slight to moderate marks and the stovax gel cleaner for exceptionally stubborn marks.

Stained glass is a bit different as you cannot use any cleaners with a high acid or alkali content for risk of damaging the printing or even run the risk of removing it entirely by accident, a pH neutral glass cleaner like stovax spray cleaner would be the best solution as it is non damaging, softer and non corrosive.

To prevent this happening again make sure to only burn high quality low moisture wood at a high enough temperature to ensure complete combustion.

ISSUE: Fire cement coming away from flue pipe.

Over a period of time the fire cement holding the flue pipe in place may dislodge and fall down, normally this is caused by the heat from the stove which makes the pipe expand contract causing the cement to fall off.

Fortunately it is easily rectified by the application of additional fire cement which can be purchased from the shop for the price of £4.99/500g however this is not covered under warranty